Overused
33%
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
67%
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» To Know Storm and Calm: Part 2 (7 - 10A)
December 6th 2018, 7:50 am by TerishD

» To Know Storm and Calm: Part 1 (1 - 6)
November 11th 2018, 7:46 am by TerishD

» All Problems Have a Cause - Part 6 (31 - 35)
October 12th 2018, 7:57 am by TerishD

» All Problems Have a Cause - Part 5 (25 - 30)
September 17th 2018, 7:40 am by TerishD

» All Problems Have a Cause - Part 4 (19 - 24)
August 18th 2018, 7:56 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)

TerishD (1315)

HYdraMStar (1170)

Kellycakes (1136)

Snacker (818)

Urs (569)

fleamailman (400)

Leaka (334)

JuJu (287)

alexandra (198)

Share | 

The Last Airbender

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1315
Current Mood :
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: The Last Airbender   July 3rd 2010, 8:47 pm

The Last Airbender
or the movie that should have been called AVATAR

Let me say that I went to an afternoon showing at one of the higher-priced 3D showings, and the theater was pleasantly packed. I enjoyed the movie. I felt that they tried too hard to include many of the scenes from the cartoon. Having seen the cartoon, I understood and enjoyed it. The same with my 10 year old son. However, for someone coming in fresh the movie might have seemed a little disjointed. It would have been a much better movie if it would have simply focused on some threads.

1) The Ang/Zuko relationship could have helped if it were actually developed. They showed it well, but did not actually bring it out.

2) I liked in the cartoon how Katara gets annoyed that Ang learns water bending so quickly when she had been studying it for years before he started. None of that gets brought out in the movie.

3) The cartoon does a wonderful job of showing that Ang is still a child. That does not come out so well in the movie.

4) Abu is done wonderfully. Whatever mix of techniques they used for him did their job magnificently. Thoroughly enjoyed his presence.

5) The little dance/kata techniques used for bending is handled well.

6) The spirit scenes are nicely done, but do nothing to advance the story. What the spirits tell Ang was pretty obvious. They could have been left out.

Note that some of the story points were a little dumb, but they were story points in the cartoon as well. However, the cartoon is able to spend time on singular events to give them the proper setting and meaning. I say again that the movie should have set its focus a little more narrow and told a singular story instead of trying to capsulate an entire season.

I give the movie 3 stars out of 5. The 3D was basically worthless, as the grand scope of Ang's story causes most scenes to be only foreground and background.

View user profile http://www.terishd.com

The Last Airbender
Page 1 of 1