Overused
33%
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
67%
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» All Problems Have a Cause - Part 4 (19 - 24)
August 18th 2018, 7:56 am by TerishD

» All Problems Have a Cause - Part 3 (13 - 18)
July 19th 2018, 7:53 am by TerishD

» All Problems Have a Cause - Part 2 (7 - 12)
June 19th 2018, 7:43 am by TerishD

» the sex life
June 7th 2018, 6:29 am by oskar

» yesterday's time
June 6th 2018, 8:52 am by oskar

Top posters
oskar (2320)

TerishD (1293)

HYdraMStar (1170)

Kellycakes (1136)

Snacker (818)

Urs (569)

fleamailman (400)

Leaka (334)

JuJu (287)

alexandra (198)

Share | 

Where does the time go?

Go down 

So far this year have you managed to get enough time to write?
Yes
57%
 57% [ 8 ]
No
43%
 43% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 14

AuthorMessage
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood :
Registration date : 2008-07-17

PostSubject: Where does the time go?   July 29th 2008, 3:01 pm

Time flies by sometimes and life can get in the way of what we love to do most. Or as writers we could be suffering from a creative block. To help us write every day and spur our creativity, we explore things, such as these forums to serve as a catalyst to get us going again. But even so I ask the question...

Write Up!
Risque' Ramblings
Kelly's Facebook
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://scribbles.forumotions.net
Saphira

Female
Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2008-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Where does the time go?   July 29th 2008, 6:48 pm

Interesting question
The best for me is: i can write my poems everywhere Wink
In the train, when i must wait by the doc, at work, by my friends
And these places give me some inspiration for some feelings or situations
So i have enough time to write
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood :
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Where does the time go?   July 29th 2008, 8:10 pm

For me time has always been what you make of it; how you use your time.

Sure, I think everyone could use a few extra hours in the day to do everything they love, but if you're looking to make a career out of writing, and it's not just a hobby, then you got to treat it as such. Schedule your time like it's a second, or for the really lucky among us only, job and hold yourself accountable for sticking to that schedule.

You wouldn't be able to call into work and say, "I can't work today because there's a new movie out I want to see or because some friends invited me out for drinks." So, why do so many aspiring authors feel it's acceptable to put off working on their writing for such things?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
John Yamrus

Male
Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Where does the time go?   September 10th 2008, 10:29 am

HYdraMStar wrote:
For me time has always been what you make of it; how you use your time.

Sure, I think everyone could use a few extra hours in the day to do everything they love, but if you're looking to make a career out of writing, and it's not just a hobby, then you got to treat it as such. Schedule your time like it's a second, or for the really lucky among us only, job and hold yourself accountable for sticking to that schedule.

You wouldn't be able to call into work and say, "I can't work today because there's a new movie out I want to see or because some friends invited me out for drinks." So, why do so many aspiring authors feel it's acceptable to put off working on their writing for such things?

Hydra!
you wonderful wonderful person! you get it! you understand! you take the prize! personally, i have a problem with everyone and his brother calling themselves writers...and poets...the terms have been so devalued in recent years as to become meaningless. anyone these days can open up a website and attract scores of "writers" and "poets" who are very quick to proclaim themselves as such. i've been doing this for 38 years and still refuse to call myself a poet. for my money, there are very few real poets in the world. but, go out in your back yard and pick up any large rock and you'll find any number of wannabe's, calling themselves "writers" and "poets". the bar for me has always been set at can you make a living at it? right now i pay some bills from my poetry, but don't make my entire living at it. so, i'm not calling myself a poet...or a writer. i'm still a wannabe.
"writers" and "poets". there's way too many folks getting in line, itching to wrap themselves up in that cloak...and too few people actually willing to do what it takes to earn the name. so, Hydra, when you say: "So, why do so many aspiring authors feel it's acceptable to put off working on their writing for such things" i raise a glass and salute you. well said, my friend. well said.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lackeyagogo

Male
Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Where does the time go?   September 10th 2008, 1:16 pm

I do agree with Hydra. I'm not sure about "earning" the right to be referred to as a writer. Perhaps it would be more fitting to earn the title of author. By definition, I am a writer simply because I wrote this reply.
Being a poet is a different story, though, and as I am not one, I won't comment. Very Happy

writer
(rītər)

noun

1. a person who writes
  2. a person whose work or occupation is writing; now, specif., an author, journalist, or the like
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/lackeyent
Chrome

Female
Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Where does the time go?   September 10th 2008, 1:46 pm

Like Hydra said, its about setting your priorities in life. If writing comes first, it comes first. You get the time you need - its the same 24-hour day used differently. If writing isn't your priority, you naturally won't find time for it. For me, its my mode of expression, if not a job - so I find time for it. School, socializing and everything else can fit in in the remainder. :P Though, school should come first, but bah.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where does the time go?   

Back to top Go down

Where does the time go?
Page 1 of 1