Overused
33%
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
67%
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» All Problems Have a Cause - Part 4 (19 - 24)
August 18th 2018, 7:56 am by TerishD

» All Problems Have a Cause - Part 3 (13 - 18)
July 19th 2018, 7:53 am by TerishD

» All Problems Have a Cause - Part 2 (7 - 12)
June 19th 2018, 7:43 am by TerishD

» the sex life
June 7th 2018, 6:29 am by oskar

» yesterday's time
June 6th 2018, 8:52 am by oskar

Top posters
oskar (2320)

TerishD (1293)

HYdraMStar (1170)

Kellycakes (1136)

Snacker (818)

Urs (569)

fleamailman (400)

Leaka (334)

JuJu (287)

alexandra (198)

Share | 

Forum Chat-Box

Go down 

Do you want the chat-box on the bottom of the forum page?
Yes
27%
 27% [ 3 ]
No
36%
 36% [ 4 ]
I still have questions
9%
 9% [ 1 ]
I don't care either way
27%
 27% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 11

AuthorMessage
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood :
Registration date : 2008-07-17

PostSubject: Forum Chat-Box   September 28th 2008, 4:50 pm

In the 'We Want Your Opinion' thread someone suggested having the chat box on the bottom of the forum. We did a test for this and the chat-box is there.

There are things to consider while using this function. First everyone after a while will be able to read anything that is written here. Not a problem for our Scribbles members right now. Second, if you go into a thread or different forum area you will not be able to see the chat box until you come back to the forum page, so I don't think the actual function is necessary. Either way you can still have the option of having the chat box in a separate window although it will still be on the bottom of the forum. Therefore, we're leaving up to you.

Write Up!
Risque' Ramblings
Kelly's Facebook
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://scribbles.forumotions.net
Leaka

Male
Number of posts : 334
Current Mood :
Registration date : 2008-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Forum Chat-Box   September 28th 2008, 5:17 pm

Personally, I like my chatboxes on top.
It feels weird and uncomfortable on the bottom.
Its how the other sites do it and its much more easier and convenient for me because everytime you go back to the main forum of scribblers it will be on the top.
Since a page loads from top to bottom and not bottom to top.
Hope that made sense.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kellycakes

Female
Current Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Forum Chat-Box   September 28th 2008, 7:48 pm

The problem with having the box on top is that it will take attention away from the forum, which is what we really are. Its lovely to have a chat-box that we can communicate in real time but we want that the forums stay on the forefront of peoples minds instead of chat. Mainly because chatting can be a problem in the future with disrespectful people. A lot of chat systems that were started when the internet first emerged have gone down because people use chat in meaningless ways.

Plus we aren't like other forums, sure we have members, and categories and different threads but we are unlike any other forum in that we look at things differently. What I've heard from many people since the forum started is that it wouldn't last long because its unprofessional. (This has truly PISSED me off.) But that is just it, I don't feel that we are unprofessional, we just have a different way of looking at the world. We create while they live in the mundane world of boring. We wanted to be different so here we are, different as can be and we are thriving.

You make complete sense in your request but I think on the bottom will be better suited for these forums. Don't get me wrong, minds can be changed if you get enough people on your side of this. (hint hint).

Write Up!
Risque' Ramblings
Kelly's Facebook
Back to top Go down
soujiroseta

Male
Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2008-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Forum Chat-Box   September 28th 2008, 11:43 pm

I agree with kellycakes, having the chatbox on the top takes attention away from the important part of the site, the forum. i think its fine where it is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood :
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Forum Chat-Box   September 29th 2008, 12:00 am

Kelly, did someone tell you the whole site was unprofessional or just the chat box? Because I know a lot of writers who hate chat rooms because of all the 'text talk' used in them, but that's no reason for someone to say the site is going to fail. The way I see it, in order for the site to be a success you got to give the users what they want and many young people love, practically live in, chat rooms. If older people like me, and yes I'm old at heart, don't like it we don't have to use it. Simple as that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
Snacker

Male
Number of posts : 818
Current Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Forum Chat-Box   September 29th 2008, 12:07 am

I know that the person who said that meant the whole site. She also said that if we need help with Scribbles and want to make it more 'professional' then she's willing to help.

They wished the chat box on the bottom so you can still surf the site. Although it is the same like having it in a single window. When you're in the chat box and you want to surf the site you're not able to go ahead chatting because you have to scroll up to surf it. And if you are in the single window you can't keep chatting because you change the window. So it actually doesn't matter which way we have it. I do agree with Kelly though that on the top of the site isn't a great idea and would take away from the actual forum.

HYdraMStar

Female
Current Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Forum Chat-Box   September 29th 2008, 12:41 am

Well, I've seen a lot of forums that were 'professional' and they were also cold and formal and anyone new who dared to post anything normally got completely ripped apart for no other reason then they hadn't 'paid their dues' yet and earned the right to have their work seen. I much prefer what you, we've, got going here.
Back to top Go down
Kellycakes

Female
Current Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Forum Chat-Box   September 29th 2008, 1:20 am

I've had a few people tell me that a writing forum shouldn't have a black background and that is what makes it look like a joke. The particular girl (an old friend of mine from another writing forum) said that the black background, the logo, and the font face all make the forum look unprofessional and she doubted very much if it would last long. I was deeply hurt by this because not only did I value her opinion as a friend but as a colleague as well.

She left the other writing forum before I did and said that it too was becoming unprofessional, with their bright background and small font. Then she said no members over the age of 30 would join because it will be hard on their eyes.

I'm 31 and I find this a bit less intrusive then brighter forums that have smaller fonts. So I erased her email and continued one and here we are. We have had over 30 members sign up this month with a handful of them active. When we set out to do this we wanted someplace to go where we won't be bothered by the usual online chatter and we can learn and grow as people and writers. I think we are doing that. I'm still a bit disturbed by the 'unprofessional' comments, but I try not to be.

Write Up!
Risque' Ramblings
Kelly's Facebook
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

Female
Current Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Forum Chat-Box   September 29th 2008, 1:29 am

What's funny about the font and background color comments, if you use Windows the setting for people with visual handicaps is a black screen with white, or sometimes blue or green, text. Go figure.
Back to top Go down
KillarasGhost

Female
Number of posts : 21

PostSubject: Re: Forum Chat-Box   September 29th 2008, 2:20 am

I'm liking the color of the site.. I feel a bit more welcome and comfortable here than the previous forum I was in.... Bick and Gloom had to pester me to join as I had an extremely bad experience on another writing forum. So I hope that This wont be so bad here Very Happy Everyone seems really nice and the color doesn't bother me at all.

And you have better smilies ^_^
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alexandra

Female
Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2008-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Forum Chat-Box   September 29th 2008, 2:31 am

Well... I really don't mind where the chat box goes to tell the truth. In fact, I'm not even sure it's necessary but people seem to want to chat so it seems to have function. I've communicated through PMs and I don't plan on usuing the chatbox.

as to the site looking unprofesional,

this place looks good, the logo looks good too... (I don't understand the scribles shop thing though) what is it doing there?

as to the colours...

I'm used to it now but I still find it hard on the eyes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://alexandrariera.spaces.live.com/
Lucky13

Female
Number of posts : 13
Location : Somewhere on the Eastern Shore where I can quarentee you've been before, or not

PostSubject: Re: Forum Chat-Box   September 30th 2008, 7:39 pm

I agree that the color scheme was a bit off putting to me, as well as the type faces, but I adapt.

However,t here is something, and I can't put my finger on it, that just doens't seem homey to me. I know it sounds weird, but I'm really timid to critique because of whatever it is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HYdraMStar

Female
Current Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Forum Chat-Box   September 30th 2008, 11:41 pm

Lucky13 wrote:
However,t here is something, and I can't put my finger on it, that just doens't seem homey to me. I know it sounds weird, but I'm really timid to critique because of whatever it is.

I don't know what areas or posts you're wanting to critique or if it's just a generalized thing, but what I know about critiquing other people's work is this; most people are going to respond at least somewhat defensively. That's human nature, and I think we've all been guilty of it, but as long as what you are saying is coming from a place of truly wanting to help them with their process and their craft it shouldn't turn into a big deal.
Back to top Go down
Teele

Male
Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2008-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Forum Chat-Box   October 1st 2008, 10:49 am

In the matter of chatbox location, really I could go either way; below the chat, or in a new window. Usually when I'm surfing the forum, I multitask anyway, and have three or four tabs open at once looking at different threads. Moving it to the top of the forum would probably be the Wrong Thing, though; unless it could somehow cohabitate with the main forum page in an unobtrusive way. And again, I have no problem with the box being in a separate page, either.

As for the atmosphere of this site, I kinda like it! Very Happy lol. I find it a lot more laid back, welcoming, and easy-going. I don't really think that anything that's a little more casual is any less professional. You guys have rules in place, and chaos certainly does not rule; what more do they want?

As for the background color, and text, its fine. The contrast works, and I don't find it hard to read at all. No more than black on white. Just don't switch the main text to dark red on black, or something like that. :P The font put me off a bit at first, because it's really cool, and cool fonts sometimes don't do their job as well as boring fonts. But I've gotten used to it and it works fine.

Don't worry about unprofessionalism. What you guys have is working good; it has its own style, and the culture that you've created is relaxed and fun; more like writers talking about their craft over tea than over a meeting table. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.theclaybox.ca
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Forum Chat-Box   

Back to top Go down

Forum Chat-Box
Page 1 of 1