Overused
33%
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
67%
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» All Problems Have a Cause - Part 2 (7 - 12)
June 19th 2018, 7:43 am by TerishD

» the sex life
June 7th 2018, 6:29 am by oskar

» yesterday's time
June 6th 2018, 8:52 am by oskar

» multiracial
June 5th 2018, 4:48 pm by oskar

» goodbye Europa
June 5th 2018, 7:41 am by oskar

Top posters
oskar (2320)

TerishD (1281)

HYdraMStar (1170)

Kellycakes (1136)

Snacker (818)

Urs (569)

fleamailman (400)

Leaka (334)

JuJu (287)

alexandra (198)

Share | 

the last person to post here wins

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next
AuthorMessage
fleamailman

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: the last person to post here wins   January 17th 2009, 10:55 am

"...at any rate I'll never go there again..." said the goblin as he picked his way through his mailbox, "...for the life of me, those are the silliest "last post" tea-parties I ever was at..." and just as the goblin said this, the goblin noticed that yet another email had the words "the last person to post here wins, reply notification", "...oh, now that is very curious.." the goblin thought. "...oh but everything is curious today. I think I should go back there and see then..." as the goblin pressed the link which then reads "I win", "...curiouser and curiouser..." exclaimed the goblin continuing "...but we'll soon see about that though..." as the goblin readies his reply and posts "...mortals you step away from sanity if you continue down this path with me here..." but the goblin guessed that it was already too late for many, sanity had never been much fun it seemed

Back to top Go down
View user profile
fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   January 17th 2009, 10:57 am

the goblin knew that no one was expected to post here feeling that this "last post" thread was more like a chance to do ones own thing, be creative, etc, so the goblin simply repeated "...it's not the tagging of this thread that is going to win one anything much here, that is, because the real winning begins when one actually is asking oneself "what in my life is worth posting here" and then tries to post something from that standpoint I believe...", and with that the goblin smiled "...life it too short to miss out on what one might have posted, also too short to react to heckles either, since if you're "good" then those hecklers are wrong and if you're "bad", you're going to get better so those hecklers are wrong again if you keep at it that is..."

Last edited by Kellycakes on March 5th 2012, 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Photo too large. Please resize larger prints for forum.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   January 17th 2009, 10:59 am

for the goblin this "last post" thread wasn't some kind of "I win/you win" game so much as an "empty slot/posted" challenge, "...simply, I could leave it, and my life too for that matter, an empty slot, that, or I could keep on trying to find something worth posting in it..." ventured the goblin well aware that it was no different for anyone else here either, "four walls do not a prison make" remembered the goblin seeing the four sides of the slot here as he wrote now, adding "...no, in fact, with a bit of imagination those same four walls can become ones home or ones life long companion..."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   January 17th 2009, 11:03 am

the goblin was trying to think of far away places but, now and again, the present cold bit through into his thoughts as that ever bitter wind somehow peculated from outside into the silent sitting room today, outside, where the sun should have been, a dull lit sky told the goblin yet again that without gloves and a scarf his hands and face would simply burn stiff with cold, and that it was through this harsh gantlet of cold then that the wretched goblin now had to go for those groceries once more, "...pass, give this fate to someone else, some super hero, I am not worthy, no, please no..." sighed the goblin in vain recalling those images of the Titanic colliding with that grocery cart and then slowly sinking into the sea of supermarket indifference as he opened the front door taking those first steps once more to the words "...for whom the gods wish to destroy they first send them shopping through this then..."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Urs

Number of posts : 569
Location : Corner of Insane Ave & Stupid St. in the State of Denial
Current Mood :
Registration date : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   January 17th 2009, 2:13 pm

I really like the images you have put into these posts!

I am so going to have to look into how to image post and set up an account.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://protagonist2antagonist.wordpress.com/
fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   January 17th 2009, 3:01 pm

("...thanks..." said the goblin somehow knowing he was going to be happy here, adding "...oh, and we have only just begun humans, this is not my blog, this is our book as we weave each other into its pages..." but the goblin didn't like books blurting out "...no, they're dead in their publishing, this then is live writing, this is us then...", as he posted his next)

the goblin doesn't have bad days "...to be able to post means that it is a good day..." said the goblin confessing that some good days were more soul-testing than others because there was little love lost between the goblin himself, "dailylife" and the moneygod, in that what the goblin wanted was an impossible freedom, while what "dailylife" wanted was all so very reasonable but all so superficial too, while what that moneygod wanted was ones continued commitment to some cheap slavery, the goblin was just trying to square this triangle then

Back to top Go down
View user profile
fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   January 17th 2009, 3:06 pm

the goblin casts his heart after his thoughts elsewhere and still that cold slowly creeps into his soul, somehow the image of the Snow Queen laughing wildly down the frozen high streets taking ever more handfuls of diamond dust from her open sack to the words "...you wanted beauty mortals but as always it comes at a price doesn't it..." and admittedly Geneva looked beautiful for it, but somehow the Snow Queen's price was always cold to the touch

Back to top Go down
View user profile
fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   January 18th 2009, 2:07 am

"...everyones who posts is a winner for a while..." thought the goblin, "...it's just that life continues so one has keep on winning not so much against the others here..." though the goblin admitted that that was fun at times too "...no, the real win is against the part of oneself that just wants to live life from day to day without looking, without forming an opinion, without whatever..." the goblin blurted out at himself since somehow he now believed that growing older had something to do with gaining depth at the expense of letting life's distractions go, yet the other question narked him too when he asked himself "...should I be living life for my old age then..."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   January 18th 2009, 2:10 am

"...this image is surreal, its details unknown...." notes the goblin as he cycles pass a group of people gathered around some car/pedestrian accident, and although the goblin can see nothing for the crowd, the attending ambulance lights seem to twirl through the dark in unison with a lone church bell that calmly calls from somewhere above, the goblin had moved away but the image still followed him, things like this do

Back to top Go down
View user profile
fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   January 18th 2009, 2:13 am

next day, Sunday and the goblin works on the surface while somewhat preoccupied with American economics, the decline of an empire perhaps, or at least its moment of soul searching, meanwhile the television news reports too little too late of what matters to the goblin "...who will pay the debt and how far will it take us backwards..." asked the goblin to himself instead, that is, since the television coverage was ducking the issue

Back to top Go down
View user profile
fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   January 18th 2009, 2:18 am

the goblin's next day, the sandman has done his magic and the sun shines on the -10c glistening street outside this busy McDonald's while inside the Europeans eat the ambrosia of American cuisine to the sound of MTV, nextdoor the French restaurant befriends those few odd American tourists who will, no doubt, later visit the McDonald's too, possibly for the their barrings over a coffee but more likely just to be able to switch off, making the goblin conclude that McDonald's was wonderful place by stating simply that, for the mere price of a coffee, one could become an invisible nonentity secure in the bosom of its establishment, "...our chance to bum..." the goblin would say as he too switched off the world beyond McDonald's doorway

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Urs

Number of posts : 569
Location : Corner of Insane Ave & Stupid St. in the State of Denial
Current Mood :
Registration date : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   January 18th 2009, 8:50 am

This is some fascinating stuff you have put up.

Yes, Good Ol McDonalds, around the world and there you are. There is comfort in familiarity I suppose. I would wager Starbucks has the same effect on people.

All in all I am greatly enjoying what you have to say here, but I am not sure if I have anything of value to add.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://protagonist2antagonist.wordpress.com/
fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   January 18th 2009, 11:04 am

("...not to worry urs, you only have to post to win, don't win against me, win against yourself here..." said the goblin)

"... well I guess I can't really keep track of my posts but at least I can repost some of those posts on another site like here in a neater order..." answered the goblin looked across at the plume of smoke ushered sideways in the breeze, the day was beautifully bright and inviting, yes it was that but it was that for a wrong reason the goblin felt, as a ghastly cold awaited anyone reckless enough to go out to the bistro on this very early morning, and yet again the goblin's choice, he surmised, was a stark one, either "stay home and get roped into a series of household chores by the captain" or "swim it through the bitter cold to the bistro where he could still be called back" so as always the goblin's mind made a checklist of "probable chores" against his other list of "possible excuses" while the goblin wondered if he ran it bath would it stir the antagonists in their beds on this "Sunday lie-in", somehow the goblin's bath would be deep one he knew

Back to top Go down
View user profile
fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   January 18th 2009, 11:05 am

the goblin was thinking of the widow when they found her long lost dead husband in the mountain ice still a young man, "...perhaps it would have been better if she hadn't seen him then..." wondered the goblin

Back to top Go down
View user profile
fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   January 18th 2009, 11:08 am

(long in the past now)

the email reads that the goblin's mother (86 years old) might not be able to swallow, the goblin understood that the family would bulk at having her force fed with tubes, so the goblin replied to his father typing "...I know we hope that we haven't yet reached that point but, as always, simply I go along in supporting any decision you take or plans you make, also I think going naturally "without distress" is what my mother would have wanted if one was talking to her before this illness took her reason away from her, so I imagine there isn't anyone who wouldn't wish to go out in dignity so your decision for her would be once more the correct one for her here I feel..." and with that the goblin had to choose another postcard to write to his mother again as she would like to see pictures of the mountains, dad when he received it, would then read it to her if she was awake but what was written on the postcard didn't matter, only that she would feel that something nice had happened, the postcard seemed another slot asking for feeding "...so slot shall we tell her of the flowers in bloom, the blue sky and the breeze that floats the clouds across the Alps then..." "...goblin, I will swallow for her then..." the slot seemed to be saying

Back to top Go down
View user profile
fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   January 18th 2009, 11:12 am

"...give us a kiss lov...", last but not least the goblin, who thanked everyone for their words, and who had replied to the parrot "...not until you clean your teeth then..." as it munched on those now somewhat "finger flavored" crisps the goblin had offered the parrot in his error, but the parrot just repeated again "...give us a kiss lov...", so perhaps visiting the supermarket's pet-shop this afternoon had been one of life's little lessons thought the goblin who could now see clearly why computers were in binary, and why most school teachers typed with two fingers "...parrot, they've come across you before I guess, haven't they..." the goblin said as the parrot turned its small head a little sideways in that "fancy another round of knuckles goblin" look they always have when they're hungry, the goblin couldn't resist, somehow his fingers were worth the fun of feeding this parrot "... o how you're like feeding this slot here then my dear parrot..." he ventured

Back to top Go down
View user profile
fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   January 19th 2009, 1:24 am

the masked ball continued, “...give me a picture and I will give you a post...” called the goblin across the audience adding “...you will test me and I will reward you...”, the goblin felt the spur of the audience kick hard into him now, he needed them he knew, “...come now, to post is to publish and to publish is to die, that's all...” but that was the goblin for you, simply he preferred to live in some “last post” thread as a live goblin, rather than in some book as a dead one,

Back to top Go down
View user profile
fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   January 19th 2009, 1:25 am

the goblin heads for work this morning and notes two ravens who are bullying to death a fledgling starling turned on its back and fighting noisily for its life, the goblin instinctively walks up and breaks the fight and then walks off leaving nature to run its cruel course perhaps, but the goblin also knew too that if this bird survived it would be smarter than a bird who hadn't gone through the experience “...in defeat don't lose the lesson too...” the goblin seemed to say to the bird in a parting glance

Back to top Go down
View user profile
fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   January 19th 2009, 1:27 am

"...perhaps then..." the goblin mused on seeing his posts to date "...it's the very fact that one fits badly into one own existence that makes one all that more aware of it...", at which point Death, sitting on the chair opposite the goblin smoking a cigarette ventured "...too true goblin, most people wake up in their beds before their alarm clock goes off, they note how much time is left before that clock will ring and then choose between "sleeping on" or "staying awake", in the warm comfort, only that the real truth is that the alarm clock can go off at any moment...", "...true but what do you suggest then..." asked the goblin curiously, "...nothing really, depends on the individual I guess, how about you goblin, would you "sleep on" or "stay awake"..." but the goblin couldn't answer or at least he couldn't find the right answer, so Death simply grew a smile again saying "...well I suppose goblin if you could actually answer that question your alarm clock would have gone off by now..."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   January 19th 2009, 2:49 pm

repost from elsewhere

the goblin wanted to support this site and therefore felt that some pictures were in order here, saying "...well yes, the pictures are there to help people with reading difficulties, whereas the texts are just there for those mental problems, and for those with both I suppose I could link them to MTV if they so wished..."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   January 19th 2009, 2:50 pm

whatever happiness the goblin had, it was tempered by sobriety and by his growing acceptance of the actual uncertainty in his life, something correct the goblin felt, explaining "...you see, the further back I go in my past the more I believed in a lie knowing it was just that a lie, and yet I believed in its simplicity as one would in God or Santa, and even now, the child in me craves that lie that the rest of me can't, or won't accept, so the child asks where is its "American dream" with those safe perimeters of work, family and home...", that is, even if the goblin also knew any belief was in itself a measure of doubt since one didn't one know for sure that is, so sobriety had shown him that simply the "American dream" had never really existed, that nothing was certain like that, only that that belief had been so much more comfortable than this sobriety of today's simple stark truth that "all is in fact uncertain in life beyond ones end in it", at which point the goblin continued "...and although I can't term any of this realism as some sort of happiness in itself, far from it, at least I am grateful to be able to accept life for the uncertainty it holds that now makes it so much more real to me, life isn't some sugary "American dream", it's a high stakes gamble from day to day, and today being here one is winning, "to live is to win"..."

Last edited by fleamailman on January 19th 2009, 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Snacker

Male
Number of posts : 818
Current Mood :
Registration date : 2008-07-17

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   January 19th 2009, 5:57 pm

Fleafailman please read the "How to upload a picture" in the Scribbles Capture, so it won't be too big. It needs a long time to load, and some of us are on dial-up. So please don't post pictures bigger then 640pixels.

Other than that keep going!

fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   January 19th 2009, 6:18 pm

(the goblin would apply, "...so just link me to that tutorial then..." suggested the goblin, adding "...oh, and edit my posts and pictures, whichever way you wish...", in fact the goblin was very easy, his only self imposed rule was "stay while welcome")

repost from "what are you doing" thread, elsewhere

the goblin is redoing today those habits of yesterday before he redoes them again tomorrow, saying "..."force of habit" is a prison that doesn't need bars...", to which the goblin then added "...what changes with time is ones ability, and ones perspective with it, otherwise it the same thing year after year..." not that the goblin minded where there was no choice in that one had to eat, sleep, bath and the like, but there were other less obvious habits that, if not seen to, would simply continue unseen like that skin cancer that one doesn't feel until it is too late, "...me, I'm stocktaking my habits this morning..." replied the goblin in answer to the question "what are you doing", and the list of habits was extensive

Back to top Go down
View user profile
fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   January 19th 2009, 6:26 pm

the goblin was thinking that, when the emotions are stirred, one often is distracted, that is, by something brutal happening in front of ones eyes, from something more sinister actually happening in the background,"...yes, what is happening in the middle East is unacceptable, agreed, but one shouldn't be sidetracked here form keeping those eyes on the downturn of the world economy which, I hope most people here will agree, is more likely to effect one directly..." mentioned the goblin not wishing to offend, only wishing to point out how the media can work like acupuncture for anesthesia,that is, a pain stifling out another pain

Back to top Go down
View user profile
fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   January 20th 2009, 5:55 am

the goblin was happy, and then as if to prove it the goblin blurted out "...let there be "self" here, this year I don't want to just live, I want to be alive for real, I want to be both "creative" and "productive", oh and not see myself in terms who I see in the mirror, my bank statement, which social status I hold, and all those other cheap shortsighted definitions that "dailylife" and that moneygod pigeonhole us in, no, so OK what happens in life happens but self pride and real happiness come from building up ones own set of values, ones own opinion too and above all one own awareness...", outside from the window of his sitting room, the view was a dawning sun slowly rising across the icy rooftops of the sleeping city of Geneva, and somehow looking at the view the goblin concluded "...yes, something like that view then, that's my New year's resolution for sure, the dawning of self..."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   

Back to top Go down

the last person to post here wins
Page 1 of 16Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next