Overused
33%
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
67%
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» happy birthday
Today at 4:20 am by oskar

» beer in a bucket
Yesterday at 4:10 am by oskar

» a blanket and a coffin
October 20th 2017, 3:56 am by oskar

» the talent
October 19th 2017, 4:07 am by oskar

» an accidental old man
October 18th 2017, 3:28 am by oskar

Top posters
oskar (2148)

TerishD (1232)

HYdraMStar (1170)

Kellycakes (1136)

Snacker (818)

Urs (569)

fleamailman (400)

Leaka (334)

JuJu (287)

alexandra (198)

Share | 

Character Tribulations.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Urs

Number of posts : 569
Location : Corner of Insane Ave & Stupid St. in the State of Denial
Current Mood :
Registration date : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Character Tribulations.   January 24th 2009, 9:27 pm

This topic is about Role Playing. But in reality Role Play is just another way to say Character Development. And this little bit is about honing the skills to learn how to role play with out the whole need for a GM and setting.

The basic premise behind this is to take a Character you know well, and then with that Character, you deal with the situation placed before you by the poster above you. This allows you to learn to deal with how your character would handle situations you have not planned out for them.

This is about developing your character and learning how they would respond to unplanned situation.

Here are the Rules:

If a situation is put up that they would not normally face, or would be impossible for them to face. Use your imagination and make it work.

You can not place traits on someone else persona, like you can not make them a werewolf or vampire, or give them a weakness or strength. The traits of the character are the full product of the responder.

You also can not place your OWN character into the situation for the next poster to deal with.

IE: DON’T “If you had to duel my character…” or “If you had a sickness to sunlight…”

With that out, just use common sense and respect and everything should go fine. This is not an ego game but an exploring game of character development.

The Format of each post will follow this method.

The start of your post should describe the Character Used, where they came from, are they from a novel of yours, a short story, just dancing in your imagination. (I'll provide an example at the end)

Then you quote the situation.

Then you Respond to the situation

Then you put up a new situation for the next poster to deal with.

You can use a different character for each situation and if you want, you can have different characters deal with the same situation, as a team or individuality. Depending on your skill and mood.

Example:

In a novel I working on I have a Character I am working on called Zola, who is a high priced prostitute in roughly the 1200’s Japan with a bit of Magic and Mixed culture thrown in to make things a bit oddball. She is slender and light bodied, standing roughly 5 foot 6 inches tall. She is very smart having roughly a 140 IQ. She has pale skin and almost white hair.

Quote :
You are at the Mall and you see some friends of yours, but as you go over to them, some people who don’t like you start to tease you about your hair, what do you do?

Zola would hold her head high and ignore them as if they did not exist, she does not bow down to the prattling of common women and since she charges high prices for her services when she is all doctored up, she can relax a bit and let her hair down from time to time. Given that she would ignore them and head off with her friends to shopping in the mall.

Next Situation:

You are on an semi-tropical Island (medium sized) with only a really dull knife as a utility tool. You are with someone who would be your best friend/lover/life mate. What do you do?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://protagonist2antagonist.wordpress.com/
Urs

Current Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Character Tribulations.   January 26th 2009, 10:00 am

I will be using Zola again for this situation. Zola however later in life took a man called Calvert as her life mate and companion and I shall be using him for this situation.

Calvert was a former military man, but was a tactician not a combatant. He is slender in build, with pale skin and olive almost greenish colored hair. A nice person that listens to people and tries his best to do his best in everything he does. Has issues with confidence however.

Urs wrote:
You are on an semi-tropical Island (medium sized) with only a really dull knife as a utility tool. You are with someone who would be your best friend/lover/life mate. What do you do?

Zola would smile at Calvert as they sat in the sand looking at the ocean around them, most likely playing with the hunting knife in her hand to give herself something to occupy her thoughts, and say something along the lines of.

"When our Lord wishes to see us again, he will find us, till then we need to focus the three basic desires of man, food, shelter and sex"

Then she would drop the knife to the sand, pull Calvert in for a long deep kiss and moan out "Lets start with the sex and then worry about food"

Next Situation:

You are in a room, surrounded by Ninja's who have been hired to kill you. How would your character handle this situation.
Back to top Go down
Urs

Current Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Character Tribulations.   January 30th 2009, 9:55 am

I will be using Zola again.

Urs wrote:

You are in a room, surrounded by Ninja's who have been hired to kill you. How would your character handle this situation.

Zola in this situation would fall to her knees and give up. She is not a fighter, and she knows it. She is also not stupid and would know better then to think she is going to win a fight against a bunch of armed skilled fighters.

So what she would do, is: While kneeling on the floor, she would show the brand mark of her lord on her arm and tell them "If you kill me, we both know he will scourge the ends of the earth for revenge"

This might not save her life, and if she realized that, she would drop head to expose her neck and say something like "Make it quick and painless and perhaps my lord and master will offer you the same kindness"

Next Situation:
You are trapped inside a candy store.
Back to top Go down
Urs

Current Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Character Tribulations.   February 4th 2009, 10:38 am

I will be using Zola again, because I like her.

Urs wrote:
Next Situation:
You are trapped inside a candy store.

Since Zola is not a big sweet eater, mainly because she does not have a lot of sweets available to her, but faced with such a chance I am sure Zola would do everything she could to justify her right to eat herself into a stupor on the candy. Perhaps not taking too much from any single source so that it was not obvious that she gorged herself silly on such treats.

And she would try to enjoy them in as lady like manner, no tjust gobbling them up, but enjoying the flavor and fun of eating the candy. After all, she would somehow justify that this was not stealing.

Next Situation:

You are driving a big rig and you realize you don't have any breaks. What do you do?
Back to top Go down
Urs

Current Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Character Tribulations.   February 10th 2009, 10:07 am

I'll be using Zola Again.

Given in this circumstance, she would not be driving a Big Rig unless she had been trained to to so, so I am going to wager that somehow she got licensed.

Urs wrote:
You are driving a big rig and you realize you don't have any breaks. What do you do?

Zola would curse, quite a bit in this situation, scream a lot and then curse herself for not checking the breaks. She is not much of one to pray to the Gods, she would not do that, but she would curse them as well.

Then she would try her best to see what she could to save herself in this situation, trying (Perhaps failing) to follow the instruction. She would get on the CB if she could think enough to do that and ask for help of any kind, even offer the best head to the guy that could get out of this problem, as she was not above using sex as a means of encouragment and repayment.

Next Situation:

You are trapped in a bathroom, the door handle just fell off.
Back to top Go down
fleamailman

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Character Tribulations.   February 11th 2009, 10:40 am

and with that the goblin suddenly felt the handle of the bathroom door snap in his hand, which was not too uncommon a happening he felt and at least the door wasn't locked, the key still being in its hole, "...dormouse, Alice, anyone..." he called out to his family while looking at the clock gaging the time left before he had to be somewhere else but, either way, he had his cellphone in his pocket and could just phone in case, "...what's up dad..." came the voice from the sitting room, "...dormouse, the bathroom door's handle has snapped off, just open the door from your side would you then...", "...sure thing pups, today I believe is help the aged day isn't it, so..., ..." as the door opens with the dormouse adding "..., ...we'll have to swap the door handle for another we don't use, and then I'll take the old one to the store to see if they still make that type, besides we've run out of milk, I believe, not least because I drank it..." as the family scene fades
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Urs

Current Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Character Tribulations.   February 11th 2009, 5:31 pm

Wow. I liked that one.

one small thing. You need to put up a new situation for the next poster to deal with.

Thanks! Shocked
Back to top Go down
fleamailman

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Character Tribulations.   February 12th 2009, 10:45 am

and with that the goblin wrote for someone else

"...captain, I have holed this boat and together we will drown now..." he voiced quietly under his panting breath, alone with his thoughts, and yet somehow, between the remaining time and that overwhelming feeling of release in this revenge here, he knew that there was still one last thing to do, one last thing to complete everything he felt,....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Urs

Current Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Character Tribulations.   February 12th 2009, 2:36 pm

Well this is a lovely challenge and I enjoyed your relation to the mouse.

For this I shall use Zola again, Simply because I like her and I am trying to develop her more in my mind.

fleamailman wrote:
"...captain, I have holed this boat and together we will drown now..." he voiced quietly under his panting breath, alone with his thoughts, and yet somehow, between the remaining time and that overwhelming feeling of release in this revenge here, he knew that there was still one last thing to do, one last thing to complete everything he felt,....

She is on a ship that is sinking in the middle of a large body of water that she can not swim out of. I suppose first Zola would look for life boats or something to try and get off the ship to safety.

If they did not have any, which would really suck by the way, she would then seek to hunt down and make sure that the person who punched a hole in the boat died by her hands, telling him that what she will do to him will seem like a kindness compared to what her lord will do to him if the person had found some way to survive this trap.

Next Situation:

Your Character has been invited to a party by a dear friend. However the party is for a much higher social class then the current state of your character, what does your character do?

IE: If your Character is a King of the world then this party if for Gods, etc.
Back to top Go down
Leaka

Male
Number of posts : 334
Current Mood :
Registration date : 2008-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Character Tribulations.   February 12th 2009, 6:01 pm

Um Not a usual character of mine, but then again I don't ever just use one character. This one is Samuel

He was a poor man named Samuel, though he had a rich neighbor who was his friend, only when drunk though . And they gave him an invitation to a nobles ball. He had nothing, he just had bare threaded clothes and he only had one good suit filled with moth balls. So what did he do now? The only thing Samuel could think of, the mightiest of plans. Samuel quickly left his house, it was dawn and he knew all the noblest of men were going to be getting ready. Samuel found the closes noble home, which was his drunk friend. Though today he would be much sober and when sober they weren't friends. The gate was open so it meant he could go in the front yard. Perfect timing a maid came out of the door and he went inside. Now all he needed was clothes. He ran down the stairs to the laundry room. He would take something from the dirty pile, yes yes it has the stink about it, but he didn't need to worry.
He took a good suit and walked up the stairs. He saw a clone bottle on the desk and he grabbed that as well. He even grabbed some gel to put in his hair. And he walked out of the home.

Next Situation:

The storm is getting thicker and thicker. And the house is being buried. You turned around and notice your sibling isn't in the house.
What do you do?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Urs

Current Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Character Tribulations.   February 13th 2009, 2:53 pm

That was quite the crafty persona you have there.

I'll be using Zola again.

Leaka wrote:
Next Situation:

The storm is getting thicker and thicker. And the house is being buried. You turned around and notice your sibling isn't in the house.
What do you do?

Well Zola is an only child, so I have to substitute in a dear friend of hers, Iolanthe.

Zola would freak out, to put it mildly! She would scream and panic that she lost Iolanthe. In the story was writing she faced near to this exact situation.

I would wager she would also run around the house looking for Iolanthe until either she found her or she died under being buried.

Next Situation:

Your alone, in a Hotel Room, no one is supposed to know you are there. You told the lobby no phone calls, at all, ever.

The Phone Rings.
Back to top Go down
Leaka

Male
Current Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Character Tribulations.   February 13th 2009, 3:28 pm

Another character, since I change to so many characters. This one is Perry.

Perry heard the phone rang he smiled a bit at the sound. But now wasn't the time of that. He knew who would be calling, he knew it was the ones who had followed him. He knew if he answered it would just be used to by time. These enemies weren't smart. Perry looked at the window gave a chuckle and walked out of the room. He knocked on the door of the man's room next to his.
"Yes," the man said.
"Are you alone sir?" Perry asked.
"Yes I am," the man replied.
"Your first time in New York?"
"Why yes, what does this have to do with anything?"
"Would you like to exchange rooms, my room has a better view and a tourist such as yourself should see New York's lights,"
Perry smiled at the man.
"Why don't you follow me and I'll show you?" Perry said.
"I guess I could,"
The man followed Perry back into his room, the man was a little interested on how Perry hadn't brought any luggage or anything. But the man walked up to the big window and smile.
"Why the view is nice, yes yes we can exchange rooms, just for tonight though,"
"Tonight is all I have," Perry said, "Well I'll be in the room next door."
The phone stopped ringing Perry quickly got into the other room. The enemy had never seen him before, but he heard the door next to him be opened. His old room, poor man. But survival of the fittest. He heard gun shots and a Perry just smiled. After all the enemy wasn't the smartest bunch now Perry was dead to them. And Perry could continue his life.

Next Situation:

You are a volunteer at a boys disability[all kinds if disabilities] camp. You have bonded with a young blind boy. One day the blind boy calls you over to tell you something.
He begins to tell you a story of being sexually molested by the other boys, because he is the only one who can't see.
What do you do?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Urs

Current Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Character Tribulations.   February 14th 2009, 8:41 pm

Leaka wrote:
Next Situation:

You are a volunteer at a boys disability[all kinds if disabilities] camp. You have bonded with a young blind boy. One day the blind boy calls you over to tell you something.
He begins to tell you a story of being sexually molested by the other boys, because he is the only one who can't see.
What do you do?

Zola would first learn and read any imperial records on the boy and if their story checked out, She would present the boy before her King so he could state his case.

Next Situation:

You're Character is Lost in the middle of the woods and a Forest Fire is coming.
Back to top Go down
Urs

Current Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Character Tribulations.   February 19th 2009, 12:56 pm

Urs wrote:
Next Situation:

You're Character is Lost in the middle of the woods and a Forest Fire is coming.

Zola is not a fan of fighting fire, or even being out in the woods, but she is hardly one to give up.

She would most likely run away from the fire and do what she thought best to survive, even if she had no clue what that was.

Next Situation:

You are on a dance floor busting a move and then the floor caves in.
Back to top Go down
Leaka

Male
Current Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Character Tribulations.   February 19th 2009, 1:54 pm

I'll use this guy named Eddy.

Eddy was doing all his breakdown moves. He was awesome the crowd loved him and he was playing with the flashing colored lights.
Suddenly he heard an odd rumble. The floor caved in and now he was in someone else's apartment.
"I danced so hard I burnt a hole through the floor," Eddy screamed to the members in his apartment.
A few of them laughed, a couple of them looked shocked. And a couple of them were worried. He stared at the neighbor who usually gets upset at him for his parties. He didn't look to please for him creating a hole through the apartment. Their eyes seemed to flash.
"Don't do that," Eddy yelled in a harsh whisper.
"Or what....I should do it Eddy ya give me headaches all night long and now a hole through the two apartments that separate you from me," he said.
People were now staring at Eddy, wondering what was going on.
"Bump the music up some more I'll bore a hole through this floor!"
"You will do no such thing,"
The music was bumped up loud and Eddy began to dance again.

Next Situation:

You are eating ice cream at the local ice creamery, with a neighborhood child whom you've grown attached to. When a man comes in claiming you owe him money.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Urs

Current Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Character Tribulations.   February 20th 2009, 8:51 am

I am going to use John Doe, who is a cold blooded assassin.

Leaka wrote:
Next Situation:

You are eating ice cream at the local ice creamery, with a neighborhood child whom you've grown attached to. When a man comes in claiming you owe him money.

John would take the man to a side room, try to explain that there was a mistake, if that failed he would pump about six rounds into the man's head and just walk away like nothing happened.

Next Situation:

it's your birth day, you're at a party and someone kicks the cake off the table destroying it.
Back to top Go down
Urs

Current Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Character Tribulations.   February 26th 2009, 9:23 am

I am going to use Zola again.

Urs wrote:

it's your birth day, you're at a party and someone kicks the cake off the table destroying it.

In a moment she saw the event, she had seen over a hundred years of breath upon this planet, and under her watchful eye woman served men in manners that only the finest of coin could buy. yet here it all unfolded, someone had just kicked over her birthday cake. Watching the icing splatter on the floor as crumbles of food dashed into flying bit of projectile weapons of discord and madness Zola wanted to scream, she wanted to demand that the blumbling fool responsible for this be flayed alive for such an atrocity.

But insted she held her head high and slowly wiped the bit of icing off her face with her thumb and walked over to the man responsible, each step confident and secure.

Slowly pulling the cigar from her mouth with an almost sick pop she held out her hand to the man, with bits of cake icing mixed with Zola's own makeup "Here, I saved a you bit" she grinned down at the poor man who could see his own doom in her eyes.

The rest of the room laughed loud and fully at Zola's display.

"It is just cake after all, and it will be eaten" she announced to the room and everyone let out a hardy cheer, even the lords and ladies clapped at her unwavering display, and she knelt down to the man while everyone else tried to salvage what they could of the night and whispered slowly into his ear "And you will see to it that every last bit is licked off this floor, or I'll see to it, you die trying"

Next Situation:

You are at the bus stop and an old friend that you did not like meets you again and start to brag about how great their life is
Back to top Go down
Leaka

Male
Current Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Character Tribulations.   March 4th 2009, 4:13 pm

I'm going to use my character Suzuki, but I just made him up because I basically like can do any character I want:

"I have a wife and kid too, been made CO of a big company project," Dom said he gave off a smile with his perfect white teeth, "Going to go on a romantic vacation with my wife, the kids grandmother will be taking care of them."
Suzuki stared at the leather seat, he just stared at the seat. Possibly hoping for another conversation with the seat or maybe another opportunity to move. He just hoped his stop came up soon. Then again he had the option of walking, but Dom wouldn't shut up. And knowing Dom he wouldn't let him go.
"My son is in an all boys academy and my girl she is Miss. America and is getting ready for another pageant," Dom said.
He needed to end this quickly, but with what. He worked at Hollywood video, no that wouldn't be of any impact on Dom. Suzuki grabbed the string and requested the next stop. He smiled at Dom.
"That all sounds lovely, I myself am a drug abuser, I drink myself stupid, and I lost my girlfriend in a fire, I watched as her hair burned and the last look she gave me was of fear....Nice catching up with you Dom," Suzuki paused, "This is my stop."
Dom stared at him and Suzuki pushed through to get off the bus.

Next Situation:

Your strapped to a chair, you haven't gotten into some big trouble with some loan sharks, they are torturing you and asking were the money you owed them was
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Urs

Current Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Character Tribulations.   September 9th 2009, 12:20 am

Quote :
Next Situation:

Your strapped to a chair, you haven't gotten into some big trouble with some loan sharks, they are torturing you and asking were the money you owed them was

It was one of those days, I could feel the blood dripping down my cheek, and the guy has that look of pure delight as he punches me in the groin.

"Where is the money Vinny" he says, his words mocking me "I really hate doing this to you, but it's business you understand"

Yah, blood money and threats are good ways to work a business, I knew Mikey since we were growing up, and here he is beating me like a Ragggedy Ann Doll at a preschool convention.

"I don't have it" I grunt out as he puts the cigarette out in my butt-cheek.

"oh Vinny, Vinny, Vinny" he coos to me, "That's too bad" he whispers in my ear. I never felt the knife as it hit my chest and punched my heart. At least he was decent about it. I hope he leaves my body here and not in front of the house like they did to Tony's wife.

Yah, a dead man can dream, sure, like I dreamed of making it big and just got myself killed.

Next Situation:

You see a kidnapping. What happens?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Character Tribulations.   

Back to top Go down

Character Tribulations.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1