Overused
33%
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
67%
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» To Know Storm and Calm: Part 1 (1 - 2)
Yesterday at 7:46 am by TerishD

» All Problems Have a Cause - Part 6 (31 - 35)
October 12th 2018, 7:57 am by TerishD

» All Problems Have a Cause - Part 5 (25 - 30)
September 17th 2018, 7:40 am by TerishD

» All Problems Have a Cause - Part 4 (19 - 24)
August 18th 2018, 7:56 am by TerishD

» All Problems Have a Cause - Part 3 (13 - 18)
July 19th 2018, 7:53 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)

TerishD (1306)

HYdraMStar (1170)

Kellycakes (1136)

Snacker (818)

Urs (569)

fleamailman (400)

Leaka (334)

JuJu (287)

alexandra (198)

Share | 

$1,000 FICTION PRIZE

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ktsetsi

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-03-02

PostSubject: $1,000 FICTION PRIZE   March 2nd 2009, 11:42 am

NOTE: The deadline you'll see below is the extended deadline, just now being announced. The original deadline was March 15.

American Fiction: The Best Unpublished Short Stories by Emerging
Writers
, was twice chosen by Writers' Digest as one of the best places
in the United States to publish fiction.

AMERICAN FICTION PRIZE

Judge: The Member-Guest and The Weatherman author and two-time
American Fiction Prize winner Clint McCown

First Prize: $1,000

Second Prize: $500

Third Prize: $250

Entry fee: $12

American Fiction will revive this year with its American Fiction Prize contest, a competition whose past judges include Joyce Carol Oates, Ann Beattie, Raymond Carver, Anne Tyler, Louise Erdrich, Tim O’Brien, and Tobias Wolff.

This year’s judge, Clint McCown, teaches in the creative writing program at Virginia Commonwealth
University and is a recipient of the Associated Press Award for Documentary Excellence for his investigations of organized crime and corruption in Alabama politics, and the Society of Midland
Authors Award. His novel, War Memorials, was designated for Outstanding Achievement in Literature by the Wisconsin Library Association. McCown's short stories and poems have appeared widely, and he has published two books of verse. He has worked as a screenwriter for Warner Bros. and as an actor with the National Shakespeare Company. He has edited several literary journals,
including the Beloit Fiction Journal, which he founded in 1984.

Contest winners and finalists will be published by New Rivers Press in Fall 2010 and distributed nationally by The Consortium.

Entries must be postmarked by May 1, 2009. Winners and finalists will be
announced by September 2009.

Contest Guidelines:

We accept all genres of unpublished literary fiction. Entries must be: unpublished; strictly 7500 words or less; postmarked by May 1, 2009; clearly marked "American Fiction Prize” on both the story and the outside of the envelope; accompanied by a $12 entry fee per story (make checks payable to American Fiction). Please include a cover page with your name, story title, mailing
address, and email address. Do not include your name on the pages of the story.

Please ensure all stories are typed, double-spaced, and that the title and page number appear on each page. In lieu of an email address, please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope.

We welcome multiple entries ($12/story). For entries outside the U.S.: please send entry fee in U.S. currency or money order. While we cannot return manuscripts, we will forward a list of the winning stories to any entrant who includes an SASE; as well, we will e-mail contest updates to
anyone who provides an active e-mail address. Entrants retain all rights to their stories.

Mail entries to:

American Fiction Prize / 5712 Briarwick Court / Hermitage, TN 37076

Please e-mail any questions to americanfictionprize AT yahoo DOT com. Thank you for your
interest, and good luck!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.kristentsetsi.com

$1,000 FICTION PRIZE
Page 1 of 1