Overused
33%
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
67%
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» All Problems Have a Cause - Part 2 (7 - 12)
June 19th 2018, 7:43 am by TerishD

» the sex life
June 7th 2018, 6:29 am by oskar

» yesterday's time
June 6th 2018, 8:52 am by oskar

» multiracial
June 5th 2018, 4:48 pm by oskar

» goodbye Europa
June 5th 2018, 7:41 am by oskar

Top posters
oskar (2320)

TerishD (1281)

HYdraMStar (1170)

Kellycakes (1136)

Snacker (818)

Urs (569)

fleamailman (400)

Leaka (334)

JuJu (287)

alexandra (198)

Share | 

Strategic Book Publishing

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1281
Current Mood :
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Strategic Book Publishing   June 25th 2009, 9:46 am

Does anyone know about Strategic Book Publishing? They have asked for my manuscript to review before printing. They claim to be a 'traditional' publisher, but also use the term 'botique press.' As for as I can tell, they do not pay advances, but they do claim to help in marketing. Overall, they do appear to be a rung above PublishAmerica, but I was wondering if anyone has heard some gossip about them. If they accept me, I am considering accepting them, but only because they are a New York City company and that is one of the places where the big money can be found.

View user profile http://www.terishd.com
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood :
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Strategic Book Publishing   June 25th 2009, 11:43 am

The below is copy and pasted from, http://www.sfwa.org/BEWARE/general.html#Literary

Writers' Literary Agency (WLA -- formerly The Literary Agency Group) / Global Book Agency / Strategic Book Publishing / Eloquent Books / AEG Publishing Group
The Literary Agency Group, a business controlled by Robert M. Fletcher of Boca Raton, Florida, changed its name in February 2007 to Writers' Literary Agency (a.k.a. WLA or WL Writers' Agency).

This umbrella group includes the following:

* WL Children's Agency
* WL Poet's Agency
* WL Screenplay Agency
* Writers' Literary & Publishing Services Company (the editing arm of the above-mentioned agencies)

In 2008, the business expanded to include publishing operations under the umbrella of the AEG Publishing Group:

* Strategic Book Publishing
* Eloquent Books
* Authors' Edge

Other current businesses or websites that Writer Beware believes are associated with Writers' Literary Agency, based on referrals and website content, include:

* Writers' Book Publishing Agency
* Children's Book Publishing Agency
* Poetry Book Publishing Agency
* Screenplay Writers' Agency
* Global Book Agency
* Strategic Book Marketing
* Authors' Edge

Other names the business has used include Sydra-Techniques, ST Literary Agency, Stylus Agency, Children's Literary Agency, Christian Literary Agency, New York Literary Agency, Poet's Literary Agency, The Screenplay Agency, and My Editor Is A Saint (an editing company).

Since the business began operating in 2001 under the name Sydra-Techniques, Writer Beware has received hundreds of complaints and advisories of fee-charging for literary agency services, fee-based publishing, critique and editing referrals, and other questionable practices. We're not aware that the literary agency branch of the business has a significant track record of commercial book or script sales under any of its names.

In February 2008, Robert Fletcher and The Literary Agency Group filed a retaliatory lawsuit against Writer Beware, alleging defamation, loss of business, and emotional distress. On March 18, 2009, the suit was dismissed with prejudice by the Massachusetts Superior Court, due to Fletcher’s failure to respond to discovery or otherwise prosecute the lawsuit. SFWA has issued an official press release.

The office of the Florida Attorney General has opened a public consumer-related investigation into Writers' Literary Agency and its associated businesses.

Writers who have had trouble with Robert M. Fletcher or any of the above-named businesses, and who wish to file a complaint, may contact the office of the Florida Attorney General, regardless of their place or country of residence, or the date of their involvement.

Contact information:

Randi Shapiro, Financial Investigator
Economic Crimes Division
Email: randi.shapiro@myfloridalegal.com
Phone: 866-966-7226 (toll free hotline) or 850-414-3990

Or visit the Consumer Protection section of the Florida AG's website.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
TerishD

Male
Current Mood :

PostSubject: Reply   June 25th 2009, 12:14 pm

Uh, Hydra, I read that earlier. Did you read it? I mean, what does that thing say?

1) There is such a company.

2) That company has these other identities.

3) They will charge fees for services.

4) The company filed a libel suit against Writer's Beware.
Note that the company did not prosecute the suit, meaning that the lawsuit was basically a 'hands off' declaration. Writer's Beware states that they considering a counter suit, but it seems that they don't have standing to prosecute such a suit either.

1 & 2 does not bother me. In fact, good to know.

3) Yep, they tried (I believe that I mentioned that in my journal), but did not push when I rebutted.

4) People complained. Gee, is that a surprise? I get complaints from writer wanna-bes as well, and I am not a public company trying to make a profit.

What I am interested in is -

1) Will they give me a good book?
No reason to think they will not, but PublishAmerica gave me that.

2) Will my book be among other good books?
Aha, this is the rub. I consider my PublishAmerica books to be roses among a large pile of manure. I WANT a company that demands editing and some degree of quality. Note that I did submit my book to a 'Professional Critique' through this company, then used their own generally positive critique to justify not needing other services. My books ARE edited, and I have often challenged others that my books are better than those in the bookstore. I thus want my books to be with a company that reflects quality, and not the 'whatever you submit' crap that PublishAmerica churns out. (Note, Hydra, this is what I believe you will find with your company.)

3) Will my company help me market the book - as part of the basic package (ie. free)
I am given that they will. Nothing major, but there will be something. Self-publishing, and PublishAmerica, leave you out there. I am not a salesman, so need some guidance. I am also not rich, but most basic promotion simply needs someone of standing. For instance, I have NO hope of getting a book signing at Books-A-Million. I believe that this company will be able to get me in there. This company also does internet radio spots, and sets up other avenues for sales. They might charge for those however, and such is what I would like to know. Most such advertising costs more than any reasonably expected return (you will sell books, but probably not enough to cover the cost).

It is any wisdom concerning these 3 points that I am seeking.

HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood :
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Strategic Book Publishing   June 25th 2009, 2:16 pm

If they are "traditional" publishing or literature agent they shouldn't be charging fees, period. If they aren't a traditional publisher then they shouldn't be telling you that they are and if they are and that's a lie I'd personally be leery of all other claims they make about themselves, their services, and the quality and success of other books they've published.

I don't know what sort of contact you have with them, but if you're really worried about the quality of their product ask for a list of books they've recently published. Then, among other things, you can then go to Amazon and look at the listings, reader reviews, and get an idea of how well the books are selling (a lot can be told by how many used copies are being offered, it none or very few then likely no one is buying it new either). You can also use such a list to track down other authors who have used them and see what their experience with the company was like.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
TerishD

Male
Current Mood :

PostSubject: Reply   June 25th 2009, 2:19 pm

Yeah, I have something like that planned. I get paid next week, and plan on ordering a few of their books (a few authors will actually make a commission). If their grammar is poor, written in present tense, have primary characters the same name as the writer, or other such really lame stuff, I will do something else with my manuscript.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strategic Book Publishing   

Back to top Go down

Strategic Book Publishing
Page 1 of 1