Overused
33%
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
67%
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Den`s dawn
Today at 5:35 am by oskar

» And the New Advance Begins: TimeSaga D1 (2 of 5)
August 18th 2017, 1:50 pm by TerishD

» day and night
August 17th 2017, 5:13 am by oskar

» the marriage
August 15th 2017, 4:30 am by oskar

» the invisible
August 13th 2017, 5:11 am by oskar

Top posters
oskar (2093)

TerishD (1220)

HYdraMStar (1170)

Kellycakes (1136)

Snacker (818)

Urs (569)

fleamailman (400)

Leaka (334)

JuJu (287)

alexandra (198)

Share | 

Search for Silent - Chpt 14

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1220
Current Mood :
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Search for Silent - Chpt 14   November 16th 2009, 8:25 am

The Search for Silent
Chapter Fourteen

Complete

The Air Force captain that had the responsibility of getting the army captain into position did not like having Victor along as well. "Silent, you are aware that the lieutenant does not know the language."

"He told me, and his portfolio supported, that he has some training in the language."

"You are considered fluent. He has had some training."

"My name is Silent for a reason. The one going with me should understand that."

The Air Force captain frowned, but moved on as if accepting the response. "You also know the terrain. We can therefore drop you in a location that is safer than where we had to place the UN team. At present they are still unrevealed, but they have a distance before reaching their objective. You will actually be closer, but in rougher terrain."

Victor now saw Silent's eyes turn to him, "Can you handle that?"

"Anything Colonel Terrell could handle, I know I can."

The lieutenant expected some sort of gender reference, but found himself surprised to hear a different type of reply. "Truthfully, she would be in disguise walking along a road or path. I was the one having to move through the underbrush."

"Anything you can handle, I know I can."

"We will discuss that upon our return." Silent turned back to the Air Force captain, "What are the odds of success for the UN team?"

"Truthfully, poor, but we sent them in under the same logic that is causing you to go in. We have satellite recon identifying another bomber like that you stole. We also believe that we have identified your rebomber. I was called in along with a number of pilots to look at this odd plane, more like an advanced aerocar, and made to assure that I could identify it. If your plan goes down, Silent, they want that plane. Your bomber will probably be the only one in existence, but our superiors want the plane that was to work with it."

"What are your odds of accomplishing that?"

"Stealing the plane, low. Removing the bomber, very high. We are going to let them steal the nukes, just to see the plan in operation. When the transfer occurs, we will strike. Under no circumstance are we to allow the nuke, or nukes, to be unaccounted for, so we will not allow either plane to go beyond any safe parameters."

Victor saw Silent turn back to him before saying, "So, we are heading in the right direction. The Air Force has one potential problem under control. We however need to assure that more delegates will not be lost."

The Air Force captain seemed to agree. "The timetable is that it will occur soon. There are those who hope that our maneuvering will be noticed, and that the country will back down. Negotiation will then be able to succeed where so far it has failed. Your mission is considered problematic if you are captured, because then you are merely a pawn in negotiations. Your mission will only be considered a failure if you do something that directly results in the loss of the hostages. If you try to grandstand, you will be risking your military career."

"My short military career."

"Your so far successful military career."

The smile on Silent's face appeared more as a grimace as he replied, "I understand."

"Okay, both of you need to gather your equipment, study the maps, and prepare your strategy. It would help for both of you to get some sleep as well. We leave at oh three hundred."

Walking away from the Air Force captain, Silent asked his companion, "Well, are you having any second thoughts?"

"No, Captain. I am like you in one respect. I have a father and a mother at home who are proud of me. My father told me not to volunteer anything that might get me killed, as he wanted me coming home. I am just hoping that I followed my father's wish."

"You also heard that Air Force fly-boy admit that my career so far has been successful?"

Victor simply nodded his head in reply, but seeing Captain Silent watching him had him go ahead and voice his thoughts. "Oh, and I have heard Colonel Terrell mention her support of you. I trust you, Captain Silent, but I cannot say that I agree with your style. I am hoping that you don't rub me wrong when it is just you and me."

"I don't plan to rub you at all, Victor. Colonel Stacy, I will rub her anytime I get the opportunity. You are definitely hands off."

"There is some relief in that."

Silent laughed as he said, "Come on. Let us go check our supplies."

~^~^~ ^~^~^ ~^~^~

Stacy rose to answer a knock at her door. She was not surprised to find that it was Silent, but felt that she had to do something to start a break in their relationship. The lady thus tried to make her response not exactly sound friendly.

"Are you here to say good-bye, Simon?"

"I happen to be in the neighborhood, so I am dropping in. Don't think that I will ever ignore you, Stacy. I don't care who else is in the house, room, back seat of a car, but I will come over just to let you know that I haven't forgotten you."

The lady now allowed herself to smile as she said, "Come on in, Silent. You should be interested in what I am looking at. We believe it to be your rebomber."

"Cool." He pecked her cheek, then slid into the small room to look at her computer screen while saying some more. "I heard that there was a satellite shot. Have you gotten any other film?"

"No. The country was quick to remove the earlier footage as soon as they heard someone was interested in the shot of you in a plane. While certain people in the country understood what was a good piece of propaganda, others realized that it showed things that they probably did not want revealed."

"Well, after I take my piloting lessons so I can legally fly my bomber once the Air Force gives it back, I might try to get that rebomber as well."

Stacy moved to stand behind Silent so she could look at the computer screen as she replied, "I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on that bomber."

"I don't have my lessons scheduled for anytime soon. I was however hoping that you could direct me to a good instructor."

Stacy could not help but smile as she answered, "Not me. Over twenty years in this branch of the military and I still have no hours behind the throttle of an aircraft. I do however know some people. Let me know when you get serious about taking those lessons."

"Let me know when I can start holding my breath about getting my bomber."

The lady started undoing the buttons on her uniform as she moved with the man to the stack of paper she had set in the other chair in the room. She saw him look at her strangely as he reached over to pick up the material. He moved the paper to a better location, then set the chair next to the other one. Stacy really did not understand the expression on his face until he softly spoke when she sat down next to him.

"There is no need to rush, Stacy."

She considered making a remark, but decided to go ahead and admit the truth. "I really was not doing it consciously, Simon. I guess my mind was simply admitting that it would happen."

"I never forced you, Stacy. I hung around you, bought you drinks, but tried to keep the conversation on what you were about. You climbed into bed with me that night."

"I don't remember there being another bed."

"There wasn't a bed at all. We were by a lake. You had stolen some file from a person's house during a party, and did not want to be caught rushing away with it."

As that memory came back to her, she gladly spoke to try and relive it. "You zapped the dogs for me, so I figured that I owed you."

"It was his electric fence, and I did have a master degree in engineering. A simple rerouting of the current was not that big of a deal. I don't remember the dogs being hurt, and it definitely did not stop them from barking. If the man knew at that time he had been robbed, he might have treated the dogs differently."

Stacy smiled with the memories, and undid another button while saying, "I enjoy having sex, Simon. It was no big deal."

"I enjoy having sex as well, Stacy, but being with someone as lovely as you is a big deal whether I have sex or not. I will have sex with you now, because I know that there is a time coming when I will not be able to have sex with you. I don't want you thinking that I only hang around you because you will have sex with me however. I want you understanding that I simply want to hang around with you."

"I am going to miss you, Simon." She reached out to touch him as another memory had her change the topic. "Oh, Hawaii?"

He looked puzzled for a moment, then grinned as he asked, "Leave is authorized?"

"They owe us, but if we are successful again then they will really owe us."

He nodded, paused for a second to think, then replied, "Hawaii is good, but neither one of us are good surfers."

"My fair skin also burns rather easily."

"Is there another beach?"

Stacy appreciated the fact that he sensed she had her own objectives. She did not expect her men to read her mind, but did want them to pick up on certain clues. To help get Silent to take her words positively, the lady undid another button as she made a reply.

"Yes, but I was just seeing if you had a preference."

"We have agreed to start looking at and talking about others on that vacation, Stacy. You thus need to pick a beach where we can talk to the natives."

"I already have one in mind, Simon." She made sure that he was looking into her eyes before saying what she considered to be the bombshell. "There is another man in my life that has a convenient condo. He also has a daughter."

Relief flooded through the lady as he made a simply remark in return. "Now, Stacy, you don't want me as a son-in-law."

"True, but I want you around. If you find another girl in the area, you will have a reason to come back occasionally. I want you to stay in my life, Simon."

"I hope these people around here don't think that I am the brains of this team."

She moved her hands to his neck and her face close to his as she said, "My reputation is already secure, Simon. I have let you shine to help you establish yours."

"Seeing your hands automatically start undoing you clothes makes me think that my reputation is well established."

"Ah, but you are not the only one to have that reputation with me, Silent. Remember that. When we go that beach, I want you to look for someone with whom you don't have to share. Plan?"

"Plan."

View user profile http://www.terishd.com
Urs

Number of posts : 569
Location : Corner of Insane Ave & Stupid St. in the State of Denial
Current Mood :
Registration date : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Search for Silent - Chpt 14   November 19th 2009, 6:43 am

TerishD wrote:
["My name is Silent for a reason.

This made me laugh!

TerishD

Male
Current Mood :

PostSubject: Reply   November 19th 2009, 10:46 am

Cool, and thanks. Two more chapters to go. If I ever do work on making this story publishable, I will probably stretch out the ending to give it more tension, as there are people that like the suspense. At present I am leaving it as the piece of final excitement that I prefer.

Oh, I am deciding to present my science-fiction stories next. I have posted them before, but I like them. The last site that I posted them on had people that did not like the independence of my independent explorers. Maybe the characters will get a better reception here. I would like to continue the tales.

Urs

Number of posts : 569
Location : Corner of Insane Ave & Stupid St. in the State of Denial
Current Mood :
Registration date : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Search for Silent - Chpt 14   November 20th 2009, 6:12 pm

TerishD wrote:
The last site that I posted them on had people that did not like the independence of my independent explorers.

Huh? You might need to explain that.

TerishD

Male
Current Mood :

PostSubject: Reply   November 20th 2009, 9:58 pm

Nah, I will wait and see what comments you make to them. Right now, I am going to have you finish this story. I start the next chapter in the morning.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Search for Silent - Chpt 14   

Back to top Go down

Search for Silent - Chpt 14
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1