Overused
33%
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
67%
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Things We Need to Do: TimeSaga C7 (All 3 Chapters)
Today at 11:48 am by TerishD

» choices
Yesterday at 8:04 am by oskar

» lower class
June 21st 2017, 6:15 am by oskar

» sink bucket
June 20th 2017, 5:41 am by oskar

» the first flower
June 19th 2017, 6:03 am by oskar

Top posters
oskar (2051)

TerishD (1209)

HYdraMStar (1170)

Kellycakes (1136)

Snacker (818)

Urs (569)

fleamailman (400)

Leaka (334)

JuJu (287)

alexandra (198)

Share | 

Monster

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1209
Current Mood :
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Monster   December 15th 2009, 9:18 am

Monster
A. Lee Martinez
Orbit Books

This book has been passed around by my gaming group. It finally was my turn to read it. When I asked about it, they simply told me to read it.

It looks cheap. The blurbs also don't read as anything spectacular. The first chapter also does not reflect any quality. Still, I saw in the faces of those around me to read it. I thus read it.

Well, it is a fun story. It is not spectacular, but the author holds the level of his narrative. The style of writing is what I call, 'internet muse,' but the author does not have the quality of his tale diminish as his fascination with the writing experience fades. There are some changes of point of view, but I did not find them annoying (although I did notice). The story does have holes, but the manner of narrative does not make the holes important.

If you want a fun book, I would reccomend it. It is quirky with a number of strange characters and situations. The tale does hold a consistency all the way to the end.

If you want me to tell you about the book, well, I am not going to bother. If you are so paranoid of new stuff that you need an outline of events, this book is not for you. If you really do not enjoy fantasy, leave this book alone. The book is weird, but in a fun way. The book does present some strange stuff, but never becomes philosophical. I found it to simply be an entertaining way to have spent some time, and I believe that you would find it to be that as well.

View user profile http://www.terishd.com
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood :
Registration date : 2008-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Monster   December 15th 2009, 4:19 pm

I trust your opinion Terish, but it seems like you are still on the wall about whether or not you really like the book.

So you would only recommend it to readers who enjoy weird fantasy novels?

Write Up!
Risque' Ramblings
Kelly's Facebook
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://scribbles.forumotions.net
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1209
Current Mood :
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Reply   December 15th 2009, 11:45 pm

Kellycakes wrote:
I trust your opinion Terish, but it seems like you are still on the wall about whether or not you really like the book.

So you would only recommend it to readers who enjoy weird fantasy novels?
Well, yes. I have been burnt by those that expect any 'recommended' text to follow the mass-produced formula(s). I thus simply toss out that a book is good, and allow those that hear me to step up and say that they are willing/desiring/needing something different.

Those that are conditioned to expect a certain type of presentation will be set back. This book is not in a 'professional' style. It however does have good characters, a good story, and moves along at a good pace while maintaining an internal consistency. While I and those I have as friends read a lot of crap, we do try to give credit to the rare good things that we find. Monster is one of them.

View user profile http://www.terishd.com
Urs

Number of posts : 569
Location : Corner of Insane Ave & Stupid St. in the State of Denial
Current Mood :
Registration date : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Monster   December 17th 2009, 12:47 am

TerishD wrote:
While I and those I have as friends read a lot of crap, we do try to give credit to the rare good things that we find. Monster is one of them.

That sounds like you liked it. Abet it not mainstream, but then again Hydra does not read mainstream that much either, so someone that shares your taste in writing would enjoy this work.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Monster   

Back to top Go down

Monster
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1