Overused
33%
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
67%
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» big white hunter
Today at 5:31 am by oskar

» the sexes
Yesterday at 4:51 am by oskar

» the brewery
December 12th 2017, 5:16 am by oskar

» And Evil Did Exist: TimeSagaD5 (4 of 6)
December 11th 2017, 7:46 am by TerishD

» several haiku
December 10th 2017, 5:34 am by oskar

Top posters
oskar (2189)

TerishD (1243)

HYdraMStar (1170)

Kellycakes (1136)

Snacker (818)

Urs (569)

fleamailman (400)

Leaka (334)

JuJu (287)

alexandra (198)

Share | 

Laevus Levus (Somebody give me a better name please!)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Magic_Shield2001

Female
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Laevus Levus (Somebody give me a better name please!)   July 21st 2008, 6:26 pm

A/N: I'm not really sure how to post this stuff... so I guess I'm going to try to attach the files... or put the URL's if that will be okay?
The story really is too long to just post it here now.. I am going to ask that any critisism be posted here in the forum so that I can differentiate from Scribbles users and FP.net users. Thanks.

Laevus Levus

Chapter One

Chapter Two

Chapter Three

Chapter Four

Chapter Five

Chapter Six

Chapter Seven
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/Ashleigh5665
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1243
Current Mood :

PostSubject: Reply   July 21st 2008, 6:52 pm

I read a good bit of the first chapter. You do have a presentation that brought out more than the usual school fiction. You actually worked to bring out feelings. I thus am willing to give you a nod.

Keep writing. The only way to get better at something is to keep doing it. You might want to focus on breaking up statements of fact -
Tom shut the door. Tom walked to the sidewalk. Tom walked to the corner. Etc.
Now, truthfully, you rise above this in several places. That is good. Go back and read over your story considering how you can work on making your story as a whole a narrative and not a listing of events. That is something that takes work, talent, and an attention to details to create, but is what makes a story truly worth reading. You have a good first step.

View user profile http://www.terishd.com
Magic_Shield2001

Female

PostSubject: Re: Laevus Levus (Somebody give me a better name please!)   July 21st 2008, 6:58 pm

heh, second creative writing class I took, Mr. M just sent me down to the library and let me loose.

I'll take your words into consideration, I've been working on chapter eight for the past three monthes, started it... i don't even know how many times. Anyway, I know what needs to happen, just don't know how to put it w/out getting some cheesy ass piece of crap scene from some children's book.

So, yeah, I'll read through it again and switch it up, best critisism I've gotten so far, most people just pay attention to spelling and grammar and punctuation, you're the first person so far to comment on syle.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood :
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Laevus Levus (Somebody give me a better name please!)   July 22nd 2008, 1:49 am

Magic_Shield2001 wrote:

So, yeah, I'll read through it again and switch it up, best critisism I've gotten so far, most people just pay attention to spelling and grammar and punctuation, you're the first person so far to comment on syle.

That's because misspellings and bad grammar are very distracting and works to kill whatever flow your words would otherwise have.

The reason is that the brain, a finely tuned one anyway, tends to stop and mentally correct whatever errors it catches. If there is an new or even repeated issue every other line, reading the piece becomes a choir. Sort of like those work assignments they use to give out in high school English where you had to find and underline all the mistakes in a certain paragraph.

Most of the time if I'm asked to look over a piece and I encounter multiple errors within the first couple of paragraphs or pages I stop reading.

But there is hope.

Most writing programs have spell check. You can even download and web browsers that have it built in. I use Firefox. Whenever I type text, for example here in these forums, a red line appears under and words I've misspelled. There is no excuse for poor spelling.

Grammar can be a bit more tricky. Some writing programs have grammar check, but I wouldn't rely on it too much. The best tool I've found in catching my mistakes is my own voice. It might sound a little crazy, but when self-editing read everything out loud. Doing so makes you slow down and really read every word. You'll be surprised how often the words you think are there simply aren't.

If all else fails, employ a friend or relative to proof your work.

Best of luck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
Magic_Shield2001

Female

PostSubject: Re: Laevus Levus (Somebody give me a better name please!)   July 22nd 2008, 8:04 pm

Yeah, I'm just saying that if there aren't any puntuation or spelling errors I usually getting it thrown back at me with a "looks good to me."

I use spell check, and normally read through it a couple of times, and reading out loud is definately not crazy. Although I don't read aloud, I know many of my friends do.
Back to top Go down
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood :
Registration date : 2008-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Laevus Levus (Somebody give me a better name please!)   July 24th 2008, 5:43 pm

I am still reading through, don't worry I will comment soon.

Write Up!
Risque' Ramblings
Kelly's Facebook
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://scribbles.forumotions.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Laevus Levus (Somebody give me a better name please!)   

Back to top Go down

Laevus Levus (Somebody give me a better name please!)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1